The original Shanagarry Pottery was started in 1953 by Philip Pearce following a long tradition of earthenware pottery in East Cork. Philip was a gentle man with a very clear simple idea. He wanted to make simple pottery for everyday use at a reasonable price. Stephen began his apprenticeship under his father Philip Pearce in 1962, when he helped develop the Shanagarry range of earthenware. Today that striking and distinctive black and white design is recognised around the world and demand for it has increased consistently over the years since it was first produced. The clay from which everything in Shanagarry is made is dug on the banks of the river Blackwater and on the site of a nineteenth-century Pottery. Willie Green, who in his eighties taught Philip to make pottery, was the last of many generations of Youghal potters and why our present skills have been handed down for almost three hundred years.